Sunday 15 February 2009

HELP ME TO CREATE SOMETHING FANTASTIC!

OK - so this is my first attempt at blogging, so bear with me. I will try not to ramble.

To explain my reasons for treading the path of blogging technology, here's a bit about me.

I'm 36, and a first time Mum. I've done the career thing, the climbing the (very long and sometimes splintered) ladder, thinking that making it to the top is what I wanted out of life and then realising it's not. The turning point for me was after I had my beautiful son, realising that as risky as it is, I want to step out of the rat race and concentrate on two specific things - my family and my passion of running my own business. I want him to be proud of me.

I've spent the last six months of my life researching and soul searching. I know what I want to do and this basically is it:

Set up an inspirational website for Mums. It can't be average - it has to be great. It will have a "local" rather than national focus and will be THE place that Mums go to, to:

TALK TO OTHERS
PREPARE FOR EVENTS (DAILY AND LIFE)
RESEARCH WHAT TO DO AND WHERE TO GO
HELP THEM MAKE DECISIONS
SAVE MONEY (REALLY)
FIND STUFF
FEEL GOOD


Now granted, there are a few sites out there already and the majority are good, but I want to be better.

I have lots of ideas, some good, some excellent and some (admittedly) a bit dodgy and I actually now have the makings of a half decent website, BUT before I go any further with this, I need your help. I'd like to hear from Mums everywhere who fit into one or more of the following categories;

  • Mums who use a "Mums/Parents" information website already - what they like about it and what they don't
  • Mums who have used a "Mums/Parents" information website but don't any more for whatever reason (please state what the reason(s) is/are)
  • Mums who would not go near a Mums/Parents" information website and why
  • Mums who think a local "Mums" information website is a good thing and why, conversely those that think it's a bad idea and why - BE HONEST
  • Your ideas to make my site great - and if it's fantastic and gets listed on my site, yes you will be credited for it - honestly

Thanks for reading and "blog" me back (is that the right terminology?...so much to learn).....

Please help me realise my dream.


Lisa

8 comments:

Lily-Rose Designs said...

Hello Lisa
I have read your blog - if i can help in any way let me know.
Not sure what with but perhaps a prize for a comp, or an article...
I am following your blog...So that will keep me updated x
Love Nanette
boutique@lily-rosedesigns.com
http://www.lily-rosedesigns.com
Good Luck with your adventure x x

Anonymous said...

I think that this sounds like a great idea. I reckon that having something to set you apart from potential competitors NOW and something that can keep them from encroaching IN THE FUTURE('barriers to entry' in business-speak) would be vital in ensuring the success of your business. So think about what those differentiators might be, focus on them and make sure your customers know what they are. And good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa

I have read your blog and wish you well with your future business.

I would be more than happy to get involved be it by donating a prize or offering products for review.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Lisa

DM09 said...

Great to hear from you guys so early on in my journey and thank you for the words of encourgement and advice - duly noted!
I'll be in touch with you to discuss potential affiliations when I have a beta site to demonstrate...good news is I am almost in development...can't wait!
Will be posting more updates over the next week or so and then it will really get going!
Thank you so much for your words of support - I am so passionate about getting this right that it's very important that I get feedback.
Will be back online soon but in the meantime if you have any pointers or help for me, then feel free to post away!
Speak soon..

Lisa

Perfectly Happy Mum said...

Hi Lisa,
Great idea! There are quite a lot of similar website to what I think is your idea, but with the right concept you can definitely make it. The most important is that you believe and stay focussed on your concept no matter what. I tend to use Netmums a lot and even was one of the mum coordinator for their local meetups. I had to stop as my business has got to have priority and I couldn't be part of their project anymore. It is something that I thing is of great demand. I developped some ideas myself following my experience with the meetups and I am more than happy to share them with you. I am a Life Coach for mums and I am happy to help you with some coaching tips or a coaching forum of any sort. Like I said I am not entitely sure what you are planning to setup so I don't know if that could work for you, but get in touch if you are interested! Anyway good luck!
Peggy

Anonymous said...

hi lisa,

I also have used netmums previously and there is also a website for daysoutwithkids which tells you what's out there for kids.

I think as your website is local, then it would be good to show offers and promotions for baby/toddler products. Also local activities for parents and babies. You could list changing facilities and rate them plus where are child friendly places and who will warm a bottle for you.

I liked the suggestion blogs which people listed their problem ie weaning and people would tell you what they did or suggest things to do. Hope this helps and sorry if it's too obivous. Jo

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa
I use Mumsnet and some others occasionaly.

I always find the problem with "local" areas on sites such as mumsnet is that there are not enough mums online in my specific area to create a community.

Also how do you get up to date and local information for all areas? Maybe you need to use and incentive for local mums to write articles and tips?

Good luck with the site!

DM09 said...

Thanks Lynn - I agree that keeping up to date is a real challenge and so one of our main areas of focus will be getting this right. Using incentives is a great idea and one which I'll throw into the pot when meeting my web developer next week.
I think community is very important to Mums and this is why, if my initial start up works, I'll be looking at rolling it out to several major cities with a view to expanding the business model.
I'm excited but very nervous too!
Keep watching the blog for more news and please, please keep on commenting, I love to hear from everyone and always read all the view points.
Lisa