Sunday 15 March 2009

Is it me?

Yes, I'm up again. This time it is 3.06am and after having gotten up to drink some water to help heal my incessent and very annoying cough, look at e-mails, view the blog, read a post on Mumsclub about Insomnia (how apt), I thought that I may as well contribute something to society (well not quite, but you get my drift).

One question that stayed in my mind yesterday as I was wandering around my local supermarket, is it me or are other people intrigued by their fellow shoppers? Why is is that you hear some of the most interesting conversations whilst queuing to pay for your bread, milk and chocolate biscuits....no definitely not chocolate biscuits...fruit, yes definitely fruit (husband might read this)....

Take for example the conversation that I (accidentally) tuned in to.

"Well, you shouldn't give in to him" (me thinks this is a girlie chat about husbands/partners inadequate behaviour and am about to nod my head in agreement)

"If you didn't let him have it, he wouldn't miss it" - (ooo this could get interesting....)

"I just think you are way too soft with him - he's far too manipulative" - (a tad too controlling maybe?)

"I know but I love him so much" - (ah, what it is to be in love...)

"Well you should have just picked the biscuits up then instead of the can of Whiskas, then he wouldn't know any different" - (WHAT?)

At this point, curiosity got the better of me and I HAD to turn around. I then realised (from a quick scan of the products ready to be paid for) that they were talking about food for the pet cat??!! Now, I'm sorry but if you fail to use the precious time allocated whilst queuing at the checkout to:

1) Moan about work/boss/smelly work mates
2) Discuss at great length husband/partner/ex-partner/ex-ex partner
3) Talk about any of the related subjects : hair/clothes/shoes/money
4) Think/talk about chocolate
5) Scan the person in front of you's shopping and make up their life story for them
5) Listen to other peoples' conversations

Then there is something seriously wrong with you.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Whilst walking the kids home from school the other day, I heard a little girl say to her mother "Have you been stripping today mum?"The school community is very small..I think a bit of damage limitaion was needed, so, quick as a flash said mother answered "Yes, darling...the wallpaper".
I tend to study other peoples shopping obsessively and rate how "good" I've been compared to them; a sorry pursuit really as I know I'm going to gorge on chocolate from the late shop in the evening ;0)

saraeden said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog , i am based just on the edge of the national park not far from Buxton !!

Sara x