Sunday 29 March 2009

Proud Mummy

I don't often count my blessings. Bit of a shame really because if I did it more often I would tell my husband how great he is at being a husband and my family would know I loved them more than life itself.

But today I am going to because I have had one of my first "proud mummy" moments.

Carl and I set off on Saturday morning to visit some good friends of ours that are due to become parents in September. My worry I suppose was that seeing first hand what it is like to look after a vibrant (and that is an understatement) 9 month old might just put the fear of god into them. I know when I was pregnant, experiencing parenthood from a distance was not a great thing for me and my confidence. In fact it made me feel sick. Even more sick than morning sickness.

Anyway, we arrived at midday and promptly handed Oscar over to them for a cuddle and a hello, to which he responded considerably well given that he doesn't really "do" cuddles and would much rather bash you in the face with a slobbery fist (obviously in a "I can't yet control my hands kind of way - he is not a bully I might add.)

This optimistic beginning actually continued through the whole weekend. He was fun to be around, there were no nappy changing meltdowns, no tantrums, no refusing of food and spitting it out/rubbing it in his hair. No weeing on us, carpet, sofas or other people. Sleeping in his travel cot with no fuss (he has only slept away from home once before), sleeping through the night and generally advertising parenthood as the best thing since sliced bread.
Now I suppose it wouldn't have really mattered if he had been slightly more "challenging" as he tends to be now he has found his feet and his vocal chords, but it was nice for hubby and I to go away and feel really proud of our little boy. And to know that we had left our visitors with a warm feeling about impending parenthood, rather than sheer terror.

Of course tomorrow is another day and Oscar is a little human being like all of us. He has his ups and downs, good and bad days, highs and lows. But for me, if truth be known, I am simply thankful that aside from what he does and how he acts, he's here, he's full of life and he's healthy.

You can't ask for more than that.

No comments: