Friday 20 March 2009

Sophie Hannah

Did anyone read Sophie's article in SHE magazine (April edition)?

It was headed "Why I feel trapped by motherhood" and detailed Sophie's own experiences of being a mother. She talks of finding it scary looking after her children and how her lack of maternal nature has made parenting a difficult concept to accept.
She goes on to say that "if more people acknowledged how hard and unpleasant it can be to look after small children, perhaps we'd all get more help, both from our extended families and society in general".
Sophie clearly loves her children (as do we all) however the thought of "restricting her freedom" in any way causes great anxiety. Prioritising her love of writing over full time motherhood is a choice Sophie has made and whether you agree with her or not, you have to admire the lady for being "true" to herself and more importantly for publicising her feelings.
I felt inspired to contact Sophie myself to acknowledge her determination and honesty and to tell her that she was not alone. I too find myself sometimes wondering what I have got myself in to when I realise I have had to completely change as a person to accommodate this new life.

But then who can say that they've never had this thought since becoming a parent?

Interesting article - interesting lady.

No comments: